Saturday, February 23, 2008

"Believe me when I say to you I hope the Russians love their children too"



IStori recommends: the newest Q magazine is a "Special Collectors' Issue: 1958–2008 – 50 Years Of GREAT BRITISH MUSIC."

... and back to the USSR! The Russians, this strange, political song from the 1980's has always been considered more or less naive – and that's what it is, naive. Yep. But in the light of recent undemocratic developments in Russia pushing the federation towards even more concentrated oligarchy it might be accurate to remind the world of the fact that, yes, the Russians do love their children, too.

I just wish they loved the children at Caucasus, too.

EDIT: ... and I wish they did not start a war but respected the will of little nations instead. That would not hurt the Kosovar kids either.

And I wish they loved the Nashi kids enough to make them understand they seem more fascist themselves than the Estonians, for example, whom the youngs Putinists are accusing of such behaviour. Well, now it seems there will be no future, EDIT: or no need, for Nashi under the rule of Medvedev. But the kids have been busy this year, too. See the thoughts of Vilhelm Konnander: Vilhelm Konnander's weblog: Police crackdown on Nashi demonstration

You can also listen to the Sting song here.

Russians
by Sting

In Europe and America, there's a growing feeling of hysteria
Conditioned to respond to all the threats
In the rhetorical speeches of the Soviets
Mr. Krushchev said we will bury you
I don't subscribe to this point of view
It would be such an ignorant thing to do
If the Russians love their children too

How can I save my little boy from Oppenheimer's deadly toy
There is no monopoly in common sense
On either side of the political fence
We share the same biology
Regardless of ideology
Believe me when I say to you
I hope the Russians love their children too

There is no historical precedent
To put the words in the mouth of the President
There's no such thing as a winnable war
It's a lie that we don't believe anymore
Mr. Reagan says we will protect you
I don't subscribe to this point of view
Believe me when I say to you
I hope the Russians love their children too

We share the same biology
Regardless of ideology
What might save us, me, and you
Is if the Russians love their children too

* * *

It's not just "Oppenheimer's deadly toy" in the USA I would be worried of. In Murmansk there is a potentially hazardous metropolis of nuclear facilities, weapons and vessels like submarines, ships and even lighthouses. So, the Russian neighbours, please love the children in the Nordic countries, too.

Did you listen to the song? Sorry, but this piece is really jamming one's mind. You'll keep humming and singing this for weeks from now on.

One of my favourite members of Royalty. Actually, my
only favourite member of Royalty (Grace Kelly being dead – but Freddie Mercury wants to live forever. And he will.).

No comments: